What race is this woman?
Easy. It is the brilliant Award winning actress Charlize Theron. But what race is she? Most people have guessed White or Caucasian – look again.
Give up? According to the United States Government Ethnicity and Race Identification (yes, seriously. here it is in pdf), there are 5 races:
1. American Indian or Alaska Native
3. Black or African American
4. Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander and
Ah, I see. Charlize was born in South Africa and became a US citizen – so according to the US Government she is 2 races: #5 White and #3 African American. Sweet, I would be all 5 races if I could. Maybe the govt form can help us further. Yes, they have a section to the right that gives us definitions for the 5 races:
1. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America), and who maintains tribal affiliation or community attachment.
2. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam.
3. A person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa.
4. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands.
5. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.
Looking at these definitions, Charlize Theron fits into NONE. According to this section, right next to the first, Charlize Theron has no race whatsoever.
So which is it? What race is Charlize Theron? The answer is ‘I have no friggin idea’. And nobody on the face of the Earth has a less complex race than Charlize Theron.
We are all from Africa originally anyway.
Enjoy Charlize Theron on the hilarious “Between two ferns with Zach Galifianakis”